We just figured out our Kousa Dogwood is an edible tree and its fruit tastes absolutely amazing (if not traditional) for those brave enough to try some. Some say that each tree is a little different, but Ive only tried one, and so thats what I'm going by for my opinions :)
That said, please do your research before you eat any wild plant or tree- but if you ever see anything with fruit likethis, you are likely in for a treat :)
When I first noticed them, a year ago, I found that when you pick one and (for lack of better words) squish the juices, that they smell like ripe peaches... Yum!
Recently, I've done some interesting research as the Kousa Dogwood in our back yard again ripens into what you can see above. Here is what I have found in video form:
In the first video, you can find a lot of information that correlated with what I found in various articles; the second has some basic information for anyone wanting a shorter video.
The only cons Ive found:
- They are strictly seasonal to the fall
- You need to spit out seeds and if you choose the tough coating, which is apparently edible. I find it easiest to simply squeeze the fruity juices into my mouth with the coat in my hand.
- Link up any post that fits into the awesome and wholesome categories to this week’s linky.
- If you add my linky, or a specific post, to your Pinterest board/s, you can link it/ them. **
- Please place the linky button on your sidebar or otherwise link it where I can find it.
- Spend a moment to comment on a post or two and subscribe so you can come back next week!