Hey guys I am super busy right now. Like "How am I supposed to balance school and life and writing posts?!!?!?" busy. You know how it is at AP exam time.
So... I am going to try to kill a few birds with one stone and do everything at once: Today I am going to tell you about what I got out of the Mid-Atlantic IB college fair back in mid-April as I sort through papers and try to figure out things for college.
It works like this: My parents want me to go to a local school and be a teacher but I am super not interested. If I leave the home and do my own thing, then I get to pay for it and my parents will be super disappointed. So because its just easier to go with the flow, I really havent spent much time thinking about what I want to do with my life and where I would want to go.
However, after a college fair, I have a few things figured out that would probbly not work out were I to choose a school.
Its a super long list, in no particular order, and pretty much narrows everything out at one point or another but you gotta start thinking about college somewhere right?
- It cant be cold. I am all for snow days but not all for -10 degree weather and 3 feet of snow for several months of the year.
- It cant be close. I am in PA and anything Mid-Atlanticcy better be pretty special for me to be interested. I want to meet new people and see new things and how can I do that if I dont ever leave the nest? So west? Yes please. South? I guess it could work. 1/2 an hour away from my hometown? I dont think so.
- If everyone is white and or Christian I am going to leave. That would be awful. I literally was talking to one of the places and they were like "yeah, we are Quaker and 80+ percent of our people are white" so I left. Maybe that is someone elses perfect school, but it wouldnt be mine.
- It cant be in the city. Honestly, I think I need a school like in the middle of no where because I cant do noise. At all. I dont want to hear the highway or trains or traffic or construction. I want a diverse group but I am absolutely not willing to spend half my day in traffic to do so. I want space and nature and real life ....and if I never get to Broadway, it will be okay.
- It has to have study abroad options. Has to.
- Well I am prejudiced against the ones that constantly spam my email or postal mailbox. Some days I get like 7 things in the mail. And its the same dozen colleges that the College Board has given my name and email to. Sorry guys (read:colleges) but it gets a little old. At the fair there were like three or four that I recognized (out of like 122, lol) and I didnt talk to them at all because they already pester me at all hours of the day. :/
- I cant be in all lecture classes. I realize that it might be a bit overboard to have a 10:1 student to staff ratio, so I dont want that, but I also would like to get to know my professors and the other students.
- It cant be all Americans. I think it would be super cool to have a room mate from another country and get to know people who know other languages.
- However if I am the foreign roommate, I must understand the language :) I'm pretty sure some of those no-tuition European countries have really great colleges but I'm not sure I would do that great in Sweden or Slovenia if classes werent in English.
- It would be great if they gave credit for AP and IB. Also I might take some CLEP tests so I would love if they would give credit for those.
- I used to be an English person, and then a history person, but lately I dont really know. I want to religion, but I dont know what I would do with that. I also really want to do Spanish, but just because I like talking the language. I would like to learn how to fly, but more as a medical missionary thing where you fly vaccinations to a remote place without a paved runway. I want to do photography, but not of people or for film... I just like chasing storms and watching pretty sunsets. I feel like Spanish and religion are at the top of the list but that they arent a main course, theyre your dessert, belonging as minor areas of study.... but I'm not exactly sure what I want at all. :/
Again, my parents are pushing for me to be a teacher.