2017-2018 Common Application Essay Prompts
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story. [No change]
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? [Revised]
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome? [Revised]
- Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma - anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution. [No change]
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others. [Revised]
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more? [New]
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design. [New]
To enter, submit your essay using the below Google Form. Essays need to be less than 650 words.
- I will give away $30 each month given that there are at least 20 participants. If there are not enough essays, I will extend the contest until there are 20.
- I will be choosing a winner based on a formula that considers organization, grammar and mechanics, flow, voice, and diction.
- I graduated already and promise not to steal, sell, or share your essay.
- Only the first essay a person submits will be judged and it must meet the word count requirements of the Common Application essay.
- I will contact and announce the winner by the 5th of the month.